Oil change at 5500 miles.....

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sony3max

The Service Reminder turned on at 5500 mile ( Code A01) and I brought it to dealer to do the oil change. Here is what I don't understand :
*** From that 5500 mile, I drove at least 2500 miles on EV mode ; so that mean the engine that had been turned on by gasoline drove 3000 miles. Come on Honda, only 3000 mile and we have to change the synthetic oil ????
*** I called the dealer and ask them why the oil need to be change even though the engine itself had not been used up to at least 4500 miles ? Here is what they answer to me : the Service Reminder for the oil change will turn on at 5000 miles interval no matter if I drove 4999 miles in electric and 1 mile used the gasoline, I still have to do the oil change .

Can anyone have a better explanation for this, it doesn't makes any sense to me........

Thanks for posting this. It sounds like Honda doesn't track run time of the engine.

Out of curiosity, how long have you owned the car? Normally oil change guidelines are both mileage and time based. So, the guideline on older style engines could be 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first. I don't think Honda publishes these guidelines for newer engines, but they may use them in the maintenance minder.

When the Service Reminder turned on, I owned the car for about 1 month and 3 weeks ( I drove a lot, about 110 miles a day, 7 days a week ).

Wow, that's not long at all. I'd be tempted to wait another 2000 miles or so, then change the oil. We'll see when mine comes on, if I have the guts for that.

Does anyone have the option to view their "Oil Life" in their display? I have that option on our Pilot but I do not see it on my Accord.

I think it only shows time until next maintenance is due (which includes an oil change always, as far as I know.)

Cobra":2jo3mawq said:
I think it only shows time until next maintenance is due (which includes an oil change always, as far as I know.)
ZEP77":2jo3mawq said:
Does anyone have the option to view their "Oil Life" in their display? I have that option on our Pilot but I do not see it on my Accord.

Yeah, just the time-until. In either case (% or time remaining), there is fluctuation. With time remaining sometimes it will speed up (3 months vs 5 months) othertimes it will go backwards (i.e. from 4 months to 5 months).

With %, it won't fluctuate...but with my civic it sat at 40% for a long while....think we didn't drive much for awhile so timer picked up, then we started driving.

So in either case, my observation for both systems...the general formula is time vs. miles driven. I'm sure there's some specificity for other variables, but that seems to be a good-enough estimate.

Back