Siri Eyes Free Mode - Not for us

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigaro

I have had mixed luck with the Honda voice recognition system, sometimes it works and other times it is amusingly frustrating. I read about something called Siri Eyes Free Mode, and the information sheet indicates it works on all 2013 Accords and 2014 Sedan EX-L and above. Since the PHEV is outfitted like the Touring, I figured it should work on the PHEV as well.

A couple of months ago I attempted to get Siri Eyes Free Mode installed on my plug-in hybrid. I tried getting it installed at my regular dealer (Norm Reeves Honda - West Covina) but after several hours they gave up because they did not have the proper equipment to install the software -- a diagnostic laptop with a specified Bluetooth interface. I took it to another dealer, Metro Honda in Montclair, CA. They had the proper equipment, and after several hours of following the installation instructions (which I got from Norm Reeves), they gave up. The system seemed to be installing the software, but did not actually work.

Since then I made a call to Honda North America. A technician there told me that the Accord PHEV is not among the models supported by Siri Eyes Free Mode, so Honda voice recognition is the only option.

I found a work-around on Amazon.com -- a remote Home button. It is a little tricky to use, but it does work. I originally clipped it onto the steering wheel, but kept popping it off when turning. Now it is clipped onto the parking break handle where it seldom gets in the way.

Back