Honda Accord Plug-in driving modes

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marta

According to Honda, there are 2 main differences between Eco and Normal mode when the adaptive cruise control is on.

Eco mode has a more gentle gas pedal setting than Normal, and this applies to the adaptive cruise control as well, but doesn't take into account the cruise control's speed setting.

Since Eco mode provides less power to the air conditioner in order to maximize efficiency, it does the same when the adaptive cruise control is on.

There is no change to the regenerative breaking settings in Eco and Normal mode, with or without cruise control.

It's all very confusing at first - takes a bit to get a hold of it!

Are you thinking of the standard gas only Accord or the Plug-In (PHEV)? I think the Eco mode is for the gas models.

There are some articles written online that mention the PHEV Accord along with Eco mode, but I think they are confusing the models as well. It seems the PHEV has 3 drive modes, that balance battery and gas engine usage. These modes have different names and do not include an Eco mode.

http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-plu ... ystem.aspx

Ah, good to know. Thanks for correcting me. Do you know what it does? Maybe the manual describes how it changes performance?

ZEP77":1r9c6fc4 said:
Does anyone use the HV mode?

I use ECON and the default EV mode.

I use HV mode when I'm cruising at lower speeds on the freeway. I noticed that when I'm going 40-60 mph, my car has a tendency to stay in EV mode. But if I put it in HV mode, it will switch over to the engine at that speed. I try to conserve my EV range for non-freeway, stop and go traffic. I commute 50 miles a day.

Interesting. Does the car ever automatically switch into HV mode?

curious if it effects MPG as I too have a 50 miles roundtrip commute.

Yes, it seems to act like HV mode after it runs the battery down to two bars. Until then, even at highway speeds, it runs the battery down first, from what I've seen.

I've been trying to figure out what it's doing in another case. I installed a Level 2 charger and can pre-heat the car while plugged in in the morning. I've been doing that, then driving the car and putting it in HV mode to maintain the battery charge for later. Even though it is pre-heated and fully charged, it seems to run the gas engine for the first 3-4miles (continuously), then acts like it can run in hybrid mode. I find this odd, since it ought to be able to run in hybrid mode right away. Maybe it's just a bug... but it eats in to fuel efficiency, it seems.

Cobra":3garjn3n said:
I've been trying to figure out what it's doing in another case. I installed a Level 2 charger and can pre-heat the car while plugged in in the morning. I've been doing that, then driving the car and putting it in HV mode to maintain the battery charge for later. Even though it is pre-heated and fully charged, it seems to run the gas engine for the first 3-4miles (continuously), then acts like it can run in hybrid mode. I find this odd, since it ought to be able to run in hybrid mode right away. Maybe it's just a bug... but it eats in to fuel efficiency, it seems.

It's running the gas engine alone for the first few miles? Traveling at what speed?

virad":19psie0m said:
It's running the gas engine alone for the first few miles? Traveling at what speed?

Alone? I can't tell that, but I can tell the engine is running and not stopping. The EV indicator goes out, and the engine stays colored on the power flow screen to indicate it is running. Speed doesn't seem to matter, stop at a traffic light, it stays running, up to 35mph, still running. It's almost like it thinks the battery needs a initial charge, or it has a pre-heat rule of some kind. It's odd, because even if the cabin has warmed to a nice temperature (left it on pre-heat for 15-20 mins, for example), the engine runs.

One thing I should try is turning off the cabin heat when I start to drive in this case, and see if that changes anything.

Temperatures are cold here, in the 35F range, when I see this behavior. I haven't tried it in warmer conditions yet, have to wait for spring for that. :)

Seems to be related to cabin heat. I tried once yesterday to pre-heat, then turn off heating, and drive in hybrid mode, fully charged. The car did not start the engine immediately, and it dropped back to EV mode more often.

ZEP77":30emxabi said:
Has anyone used the "B" driving gear?

what scenario would this be useful?

I use it on downhills where the car would speed up instead of using the brake pedal. You'll get a little more regen charging with B and not have to apply the brakes as soon.

It's probably also good for up and down driving in hilly areas, where you might want the car not to roll downhill as fast and so you don't have to brake as often. But I don't live in an area like that. The hilly areas of CA would probably lend themselves to using it this way.

I believe the 'B' mode is a little better for regen than applying the brakes, because the brake pedal always has as little bit of wheel brake applied initially. The 'B' mode is fully regen, so should be a little more efficient.

Back