2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid Specifications

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMyev

Here are some of the specs on the Accord PHEV taken from the Honda USA site.

There are 3 driving modes: all-electric EV drive, gasoline electric Hybrid drive, and direct engine drive. The 2 motor hybrid system in the Accord Plug-in allows the powertrain to move seamlessly between the three operations so drivers can maximize their efficiency.

Total Driving Range: the total range rating on the 2014 Accord Plug in Hybrid is over 500 miles. This isn't an EPA rating, but an internal Honda estimate that will be modified/updated once official numbers are available.

The 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid will come with a forward collision warning system, lane departure warning and an adaptive cruise control.

admin":1ixbyhl4 said:

There are 3 driving modes: all-electric EV drive, gasoline electric Hybrid drive, and direct engine drive. The 2 motor hybrid system in the Accord Plug-in allows the powertrain to move seamlessly between the three operations so drivers can maximize their efficiency.

Total Driving Range: the total range rating on the 2014 Accord Plug in Hybrid is over 500 miles. This isn't an EPA rating, but an internal Honda estimate that will be modified/updated once official numbers are available.

The 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid will come with a forward collision warning system, lane departure warning and an adaptive cruise control.
Could you tell me how all electric ev drive works in honda accord plug in? I am really new to honda accord forum and I dont know much about cars. So I am trying to learn all about cars.

damon":345wugrh said:
admin":345wugrh said:

Could you tell me how all electric ev drive works in honda accord plug in? I am really new to honda accord forum and I dont know much about cars. So I am trying to learn all about cars.

I will try to explain how EV drive works in accord plug in. Here, the only energy moving the car comes mostly from the battery. When starting with a full battery pack, the engine will not kick in under normal city driving until the pack is depleted, which should take 10-15 miles. When the driver requests "higher speeds or under high demand for acceleration," the gasoline engine will turn on "to provide additional power." This drive operation automatically comes on during deceleration. The official top speed in EV Drive is around 80 miles per hour and an electric A/C compressor and water heater allow the car to stay in EV mode longer.

The 124KW Electric motor sounds good and is quite a bit higher than competition.

The problem I have is that the battery only puts out 41KW according to the specs.

How can this be? What good is a 124KW motor if the most you can get to it is 41KW?

On Fords, the battery output and the motor are matched.

JJ

jwj":2i1q2wuh said:
The 124KW Electric motor sounds good and is quite a bit higher than competition.

The problem I have is that the battery only puts out 41KW according to the specs.

How can this be? What good is a 124KW motor if the most you can get to it is 41KW?

On Fords, the battery output and the motor are matched.

JJ

That is where the "hybrid" comes in. The battery can be supplemented by the ICE, thus raising the 41KW considerably.

Except that the ICE is directly coupled to the wheels and does not generate electric power to drive the electric motor like the Volt does. Is there any evidence that Accord's HV generator couples to the electric motor when the engine is running as apposed to just charging the battery? It would seems inefficient to do so.

jwj":2j0f660g said:
Except that the ICE is directly coupled to the wheels and does not generate electric power to drive the electric motor like the Volt does.
I suspect that is not the case. Take a look at the 3 EV drive modes that the Accord supports. One of them is a mode that maintains battery charge while running the ICE engine for drive. This suggests the Accord can charge and drive the wheels at the same time. I've also seen a comment that the special CVT can lock the wheels to the ICE, but it sounds like that is just one of a couple configurations, not the only one.

Is there any evidence that Accord's HV generator couples to the electric motor when the engine is running as apposed to just charging the battery? It would seems inefficient to do so.
Hmm. I haven't seen a good block diagram of the Accord system, so that is a good question. What is your understanding of the HV generator and where it is connected in the system? I've seen references to the electric motor, and the special hybrid CVT. What's missing is the charging setup while running on ICE. But the different modes certainly suggest it can charge and drive the wheels.

Cobra":2mldnwu2 said:
jwj":2mldnwu2 said:
Except that the ICE is directly coupled to the wheels and does not generate electric power to drive the electric motor like the Volt does.
I suspect that is not the case. Take a look at the 3 EV drive modes that the Accord supports. One of them is a mode that maintains battery charge while running the ICE engine for drive. This suggests the Accord can charge and drive the wheels at the same time. I've also seen a comment that the special CVT can lock the wheels to the ICE, but it sounds like that is just one of a couple configurations, not the only one.

Is there any evidence that Accord's HV generator couples to the electric motor when the engine is running as apposed to just charging the battery? It would seems inefficient to do so.
Hmm. I haven't seen a good block diagram of the Accord system, so that is a good question. What is your understanding of the HV generator and where it is connected in the system? I've seen references to the electric motor, and the special hybrid CVT. What's missing is the charging setup while running on ICE. But the different modes certainly suggest it can charge and drive the wheels.

I agree with this assessment, but there's danger of overcomplicating the original question...which basically infers that the honda ICE is underpowered. Yes- ALL engines in the "supplementary" hybrid category (plug in or not) have an underpowered, quasi-Atkinson-cycle engine that plays fancy tricks with the valve train to give excellent efficiency at the expense of power. The electric battery / motor(s) come into the picture much the same was as a turbocharger does, providing power on demand to supplement the ICE where it is needed. Of course, depending on the sophistication of the hybrid electric system, it can go further than a turbocharger, which is only capable of providing extra power via boosted air pressure. This is very evident in the Honda PHEV, which has a capable enough electrical system to be able to go some distance strictly on batteries, and offers multiple driving modes (which I'm not yet completely clear on).

Back