240 Volt charger and charge times

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrueBrit

Okay, so the 110 charger that comes with the Accord will charge the car in 2 hours and 50 minutes. I know that for a fact because I have seen it with my own eyes. Since we know that there Level 2 240 volt chargers out and that Honda tells us the battery will charge in 1 hour with 240 volts I had to see for myself.

I headed to a local dealership here in SoCal and plugged into a GE 30 amp. Honda was wrong, but in a good way. I was able to charge the Accord in 37 minutes. I repeated this test the following day and again it took 37 minutes. Not to shabby Honda!

Inquiring minds would will have read that the car will charge with 32 amps if available and since the GE charger I used was only 30 amp I wanted to try it with a charger that could feed Edison (we all name care, right?) at 32 amps per the book. I called Leviton Industries and asked if there new 40 amp charger would work with the Honda Accord and a day later received a phone call saying "Yes, the car will draw only the amps it can handle." That was good enough for me. I had to try the new Leviton 40 amp charger with a 25 foot long power feed. Home Depot's website just happened to list the charger I was looking for. A quick online sale and the new Leviton 40 amp Level 2 was delivered to my door 2 or 3 days later.

I am happy to report that Edison now charges in 30 to 31 minutes. Sweet! As you know this 30 minutes is well under what Honda claims for a Level 2 Charger. Good job Honda!

Someone will ask if the higher rate of charge is going to harm the batteries? I am told by Honda that it will not harm anything.

Very nice. This was one of the things I wanted to do if I buy. We'll see. It's great to hear it charges in close to 30 minutes!

Back