How to Replace the Ignition Coil in a Honda Accord

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damon

There are several Honda Accord models, including the LX, Hybrid and EX models and Honda Accord Plug in. Regardless of the model, the ignition system relies on an Accord ignition coil to trigger the spark plugs, although, the system may classify as a distributor or distributorless ignition system, depending on the model.

Locate the ignition coil. You should find it close to the intake manifold. For engines like the 2.4L and 3.0L, you should find a distributor that houses the Accord ignition coil. When a distributor is present, you need to remove the distributor cap, rotor and cap seal in order to access the ignition coil.

Disconnect the wires that connect to the ignition coil. As you remove these, either make a note of which wire relates to which terminal, or wrap masking tape around the wires to mark the relative position. Make sure you replace the wires in the correct position or your car may not start.

Use a screwdriver to remove the screws that secure the ignition coil in place. Then slide the distributor free from the engine.
Replace the old ignition coil with the new one. You can use a stock replacement or universal ignition coil, as long as it fits your engine type.
Slide the distributor back in place and secure it with the fasteners. If you use a Torque wrench, tighten the retainers to 9 foot pounds (12 Nm).
Connect the wires and reassemble any other parts you removed.

I'm sorry damon, but I'm pretty sure that this isn't correct for the new Accord.

Honda has been using individual "coil on plug" ignition coils for many years and I can't see them going back to a distributor for the Earth Dreams engines.

Back