Federal Gov Rebates + State

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecc088

So despite having to buy an PHEV Accord from NY(I live Philadelphia, PA) - I am still thinking of buying the PHEV Accord. My rationale is this, and someone please explain if I am wrong, the Net price will still be competitive if not lower than 2014 Accord Hybrid loaded. Fully loaded the MSRP on a gas Accord is like $33k'ish (not V6) and I imagine the Hybrid to be a bit more, atleast that seems to be the case with other cars that have a hybrid model - so after the federal rebate and PA state(not sure if it still available) the PHEV lands in the $35-36 range. My buy date would be December in order to minimize the credit wait, kinda like hoping your baby is born before the new year :). But I have some questions and maybe others here can help answer.

1) When does the Federal credit expire? - what I read when the manufacturer has sold 200,000 for use in the US then it will be phased out, but I have also read 2014 will be the expiration date and not sure if that means 2013 is the last year or if 1/1/2014 is the hard cut off date. Looking for a definitive answer on that.
2) The tax credit is based solely on battery size and not your income - is this correct?
3) I just thought of third question, will my local Honda be able to service it or do I have to trek up the Turnpike for service?
4) Aside from no moonroof (which I hardly used on my current Accord anyway) and lack of leather seats what other differences are there between EX-L and PHEV models?

Hi ecco,

We have similar thoughts. I've been toying with picking one up in NY as well. Nice to see another PA person on the forum. I like the idea of driving to work all electric, as I'm about 12 miles away.

I can't answer all your questions, but here are a couple comments.

1) The credit seems to be a year to year thing approved by the Fed. I don't know if it will expire or not.
2) Yes, the federal credit is only based on battery size. Income is not a factor. PA seems to have a $1000credit at the moment from what I can tell (based on battery size <10kW). That's a nice little bonus as well. It's not clear if that runs out or not. They only say that they have 500 credits of $3000 for >10kW Plug In or Electric vehicles. The website was updated recently to say they have 492 of those credits left. They don't mention a limit on the $1000 credits that the Accord would qualify for.
3) That's a good question. One of the members here is from the south and said he talked to his local dealer's service manager and they said they would be able to work on it. However, Honda clearly says in their FAQ online that your should take it to a 'Honda Certified Plug-In Accord dealer' (or some similar wording) for repair. I've not asked a local dealer yet. My thinking is that with the introduction of the hybrid in the Fall or early next year, they will all be familiar with the basic of the electric systems. I think most things could be handled locally, but if a major repair was needed to the drive system, you might have to take it to one of the plug-in dealers.

4) They are saying it's closest to the Touring trim, but differences I've noticed:
- heated rear seats on the PHEV (this isn't even an option on any other USA Accord.)
- The touring gets a higher power audio system, that system with subwoofer is not offered on the PHEV.
- The touring and PHEV have radar based ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control.) I don't think the radar based system is on the EX-L Trim.
- LED lights... I think the EX-L doesn't have the full LED head and tail lights? The PHEV does, I believe.
- And as you noted, leather seats and moonroof are not available on the PHEV.

Okay after some more investigative work -
1) the Federal expires after 200,000 units are sold by mfr., so I think Honda sold like 50 :) and also there is a "phase out" period, so I think even if I sit on it a bit I still can get the ~$3340 from the Fed Tax credit.
2) PA still has the $1,000 rebate from the DEP - although on pluginamerica.org - it says that PA is thinking of tax exemption! But who knows, maybe with the rebate + 2,400 sales tax deduction it may almost even out but I would like the sales tax exemption. I think we need to get a movement going in PA to get both DEP rebate and sales tax exemption; maybe hijack some other environmental cause like anti-fracking.
3) How different is the Hybrid and PHEV to service anyway? And I have seen some PHEV conversion kits for the Prius which leads to me to think that maybe the only real difference maybe an charging interface to the batteries. Another reason why I am at least waiting to see the fleshed out Accord Hybrid.
4) One more difference is the much smaller trunk space; so where am going to stuff the wife and kids when they act up and I can't enjoy my quiet ride? Oh well, they are all getting bigger anyway :) . Really totally kidding before someone reports me.

Another reason I am stoked to buy a PHEV is because I can imagine all the awesome aftermarket hardware and software that comes with new technology.

What federal tax form are people using? I am only able to get 2,500. w/form number 8936 from its official tax forms. Please reply ASAP if possible

Back