Honda Accord Plug-in Forum

It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Reliability
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:12 pm 

Does anyone have any feedback on the reliability of these vehicles? I am about to purchase one and getting cold feet due to the rare nature of the vehicle, specialized electronics, etc.. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. The car appeals very much to me basically for the same reasons as others on the forum, it's a PHEV and isn't a Prius and I can afford it (i.e. - not Tesla).

Post subject: Re: Reliability
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:46 am 

Hi Mr. Copeland, welcome to the forum! The only thing for me, besides normal maintenance in 2 years of ownership, has been to replace the 12v battery. Honda as you know, has a top-rated reliability record. The Accord Plug-in is no different than the Accord Hybrid except for the larger capacity HV Battery that has charging capability. There is up to a 10yr/150k mile warranty on the hybrid and battery system. Check your local dealer for specifics in your area. The new 2018 Honda Clarity is basically the same, with an even larger capacity HV battery, is sold country wide, and dealerships will be far more competent to work on these in the future. If the car you are looking at is still under the original warranty, you can also purchase a ‘Honda Care’ factory extended warranty for peace of mind. These are truly remarkable, rare and (now) affordable cars. Let me know what you decide.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:25 am 

I bought it, and couldn't be happier with my purchase. It is a really nice car, and was half the cost of a new Clarity PHEV - and without those weird looking wheel skirts the Clarity has.

I bought different Honda wheels and it looks awesome! Do you know of anyone that would have interest in the OEM Accord PHEV wheels (including covers)? I've cleaned them and boxed them up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:04 pm 

Congratulations on your purchase!
I agree with you about the Clarity. Besides the odd shape and looks, inside and out, it doesn't even have power lumbar support like the Accord Plug-in.
I also swapped out the wheels and tires when I bought my Accord PHEV, with light weight Koenig 10 spoke racing mags. I'm keeping the stockers to use for studded winter tires or put back on when selling the car and keep my upgrades for a future car or resale.
I think I posted somewhere on this site that only 1039 total units of this particular car were ever sold, so you are one of a small handful of people to have one. It would be interesting to see how many are still left on the road.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 pm 

hey guys - glad to see I'm not the only one who is intrigued by these - just picked one up yesterday - wondering what the OP paid for his - cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:08 am 

harleyman wrote:
hey guys - glad to see I'm not the only one who is intrigued by these - just picked one up yesterday - wondering what the OP paid for his - cheers!

Hi harleyman, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. The forum gets a little traffic but not much conversation these days as you can see by the post dates. I picked up my white Accord Plug-in Oct. 2016 with 25k miles on it for $16900.00. Been a great car so far. Oil changes and a 12V battery are the only things needed in over 22k miles. Enjoy the ride! Let us know if you have any questions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:38 pm 

PapaJo wrote:
harleyman wrote:

Hi harleyman, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your purchase. The forum gets a little traffic but not much conversation these days as you can see by the post dates. I picked up my white Accord Plug-in Oct. 2016 with 25k miles on it for $16900.00. Been a great car so far. Oil changes and a 12V battery are the only things needed in over 22k miles. Enjoy the ride! Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks for your reply - yes I can see the traffic is low - I wondered if a Facebook group might get better traffic but I found none - I just picked mine up 3 days ago Black with 59k miles for $15.5k, how did I do? the only thing that concerns me with this car is the battery longevity - seems like the EV range sucks at night compared to day - have you noticed same thing?

Also, whats the highest MPGe you've gotten? I got mine up to 71 today

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:55 am 

I think you did good on your Honda. Low miles and $15.5. These things were $40k new. You will find that ambient temperature and HVAC use will greatly affect the EV only range. For starters, only 13 miles is advertised. When temperature is low, 50’s or less, you’ll be lucky to charge up to 10-12 EV miles. Adding cabin heat (or A/C) while driving reduces useable electric only. I have been able to charge as high as 21.4 miles under ideal conditions. According to my car’s computer, I was able to get 165 mpg and went 1167 miles on one tank of gas, but that took a lot of time sitting at charging stations just for bragging rights. Where did you pick up your car and what state are you in? I’m in Oregon. Mine was originally a California car.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 pm 

PapaJo wrote:
I think you did good on your Honda. Low miles and $15.5. These things were $40k new. You will find that ambient temperature and HVAC use will greatly affect the EV only range. For starters, only 13 miles is advertised. When temperature is low, 50’s or less, you’ll be lucky to charge up to 10-12 EV miles. Adding cabin heat (or A/C) while driving reduces useable electric only. I have been able to charge as high as 21.4 miles under ideal conditions. According to my car’s computer, I was able to get 165 mpg and went 1167 miles on one tank of gas, but that took a lot of time sitting at charging stations just for bragging rights. Where did you pick up your car and what state are you in? I’m in Oregon. Mine was originally a California car.

are you saying you got as high as 21.4 miles on EV only? yes I agree that when on EV, HVAC and lights greatly affect EV range - I bought my car from the original owner here in AZ however he drove to California to buy it new and drove home

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:27 am 

harleyman wrote:
PapaJo wrote:

are you saying you got as high as 21.4 miles on EV only? yes I agree that when on EV, HVAC and lights greatly affect EV range - I bought my car from the original owner here in AZ however he drove to California to buy it new and drove home

Nice find from the original owner! I think it's amazing someone finds out about a particular car and goes to great lengths to get one. I would do the same. Yes, I charged up to 21.4 EV only miles in spring/summer 2018 during 'Goldilocks' weather, not too hot, not too cold. I took pictures as proof. Since I didn't need to use HVAC, I was able to fully appreciate all 21+ EV only. Wish that was the norm, not a rarity. I tried to attach the image but can't figure it out. Oh well.