"Emissions System Problem" message is on....Need help !!!

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sony3max

I was driving in EV mode, then this error message turned on " Emissions System Problem " along with the check engine indicator. I pulled over and restarted the engine, still not solve the problem. Then I drove back home ( still in EV mode), called the dealer which is 15 miles away from home, no available appointment until 5 more days.

Can you guys give me some ideas to troubleshoot this problem while waiting for service at the dealer ? Thanks .

That's a new one to me. It's probably a sensor problem in the exhaust system, although odd you would see it when in EV mode.

Is it still happening? Have you been to the dealer yet?

One option is to use a code reader on the car and see what is being reported. A lot of auto parts stores can plug in and do a code dump for free. It may tell you what sensor is reporting bad if that is the problem.

Brought it to the dealer yesterday, they ran the test 3 times ( they told me, yes....3 times ! ) and DID NOT find out what was wrong ? They somehow cleared the message and they told me that it might appear again, intermittently !!!!!

I drove to work today, car acted normally; but what they told me is still haunting me " it might appear again, intermittently !"

BTW, had anyone notice that the HONDA 12V battery has a very short life ( around 26 months ), then it stared to lose its capacity to less than 40%, that's why the High Voltage battery in the back keeps on charging the 12V battery ==> my EV mileage is very short ( only 6 real miles for a fully charged battery). That's why I am thinking to get a replacement battery at Auto Zone ( Duralast, AGM, about $250); any recommendation from you guys ?

Thanks, Cobra........

I just had an 'emissions system problem' last week as well. Dealer pulled the code and found a loose connection on a 'three way water valve'. I had driven it for about a week before taking it in, so seems not to be fatal in my case. No dealer charge and nothing replaced. I was pleasantly surprised, as I thought the emissions warranty was 3yr/36k miles, and I'm well over 36k miles now.

I believe the emission warranty is much longer than 36k miles. Something like 80k miles or 8 years (100k miles or 10 years in California), which includes the HV battery. Check your owner's manual for specific details.

Cobra":3fc5goxr said:
I just had an 'emissions system problem' last week as well. Dealer pulled the code and found a loose connection on a 'three way water valve'. I had driven it for about a week before taking it in, so seems not to be fatal in my case. No dealer charge and nothing replaced. I was pleasantly surprised, as I thought the emissions warranty was 3yr/36k miles, and I'm well over 36k miles now.

Could the car still run if you remove that sensor entirely?

I'm not sure, I never located the sensor. I think the valve itself was in the heater loop between the electric and engine coolant heaters, but not entirely sure. I think the valve that had the loose connection in my case is different than the temperature sensors that reported the problem.

Back