Honda Accord Plug-in Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Low 12v Battery and what can happen
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:49 pm 

Just a quick heads up as our cars get a bit older.... watch your 12v battery. The car wouldn't "start" the other today. Headlights worked, dashboard error messages were all light up but the car would shift into R. Had the car jump started and drove around. I ended up at a Honda dealer and they did a battery check.... it passed and registered strong. Next morning, same thing happened and again I had it jumped. AAA would not sell me a battery because some models won't fit back in the car. So, off to the dealer....again. This time they left the lights on for a few minutes and then tested the battery....8.5v. Purchased a new Honda Battery. So, here's what I learned. The OEM battery might only last a few years, so this issue will start to come up more often. Buy an OEM battery, it needs to be the right size to fit in the plastic shroud. FYI

Last edited by Jamphev on Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Low 12v Battery and what can happen
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:44 pm 

Same thing happened to my car, too.......Within 4 years, this is my 2nd OEM Honda Battery is losing it's power. Mine started to draw power from the High Energy Battery when I first drive the car in the morning ==> EV mileages dropped to 5 miles only. Auto Zone has the exactly battery to fit for our vehicle, would we dare to switch to another brand ?

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:31 pm 
Site moderator

I'd certainly put another brand in. With a little larger capacity if it can be found to fit. There are people on the conventional Accord forums reporting battery failures with some of their 12v batteries, so I don't see any reason to stick with the dealer provided battery.

Also, I started carrying a jump-start battery pack in the trunk. That way if you run the car down you can restart it. It works really well. I already ran mine down once when I turned on the emergency flashers and turned off the car. I think Honda has moved to lower capacity 12 main batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:01 am 

When I purchased my car, it had 35k miles on it and the previous owner had already replaced the 12V battery. Currently at 55k miles and everything is still working fine. If the OEM one doesn't last that long, I wouldn't replace it with another OEM battery. DEKA makes an appropriate replacement, Group 51.

http://www.labatteries.com/index.php?ro ... ct_id=1006

This is what my car uses and I still get 15 EV miles, so it's not dragging the system down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:15 am 

I purchased mine used with 25k miles on it and at around 40k miles and 18 months of ownership, the 12v died in mine also. And it does it very unexpectedly and without warning. Fine in the morning driving to work, dead in the evening when trying to head home. I put in an aftermarket one and when it was being replaced, we noticed it was already on the second Honda OEM battery. So, at 40k miles, it is enjoying its third battery. I won't be using a factory battery going forward.
Also, as a side note, when putting the car in storage for more than a few weeks, put a trickle charger on it as the 12v will slowly drain. It happened to my brand-new battery when I parked it for 90 days. I checked on it at day 50 and couldn't even get a dome light flicker. I put a standard charger on it at the 10a setting, and it took about 3 hours to start waking up, then 2 hours at 2a and trickle charged for the last days of storage. Hopefully I haven't shortened the life span of my new battery.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:44 pm 

Bought a used Accord Plug-In about 2 weeks ago, ran beautifully until I had this same issue. Drove home from work, charged the battery back to full, woke up the next morning and the car wouldn't start properly. Error messages going off like crazy.

I found the posts on these forums, so I thought it was the 12V battery. Tried to jump it, but that didn't help. Had to have it towed to my local dealer, where they said the 12V battery was indeed dead, so they replaced it, but they still couldn't get the car to start. They said they kept getting an error message that the hybrid battery had an issue and needed to be replaced. Thankfully, it was under warranty, so I'm waiting about a week for the new battery to arrive and they are going to replace it at no cost to me. The service advisor told me that if it was out-of-pocket, it would have cost me at least $20,000 for this repair.

I'm wondering if replacing the hybrid battery is necessary, though. The dealership says that they couldn't get the car to start even after replacing the 12V, but this is a major repair that they get to collect on, so I think they're going to err on the side of doing the work even if it may not be necessary. Are there any other techniques that they could have tried? It sounds like some people are able to get the gas engine to start by holding down the HV button, but that didn't work when I was trying it myself. The car was running like a dream not 2 days ago, and it sounds if I could get it over 15 mph, a lot of these error messages go away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 pm 

Hi bigpoochin,
Welcome to the forum.
I doubt if the HV battery (High Voltage) needs to be replaced. If there is any charge left in the HV battery when you jump it, it doesn't seem like it has started, when in actuality, it has. The ICE (internal combustion engine) just doesn't fire up. All the error messages display and makes it look like a total system failure. If you can put it in gear after the jump, you are good to go. As you drive normally, the error messages scroll through their diagnostics and turn off one at a time. When the HV battery is depleted, on comes the ICE. I don't really think Honda Stealerships have much training on these cars, if any. On the other hand, if you can get a brand new HV Battery and new full warranty, then, well, OK. Of course, a good 12v battery is key and they go out without warning. These cars eat them like candy. Mine has around 42k miles and is on its third. I assume you were charging the HV Battery after you purchased it, right? How high did the level show? I'm curious if it was making it to a full charge. Let me know. Thanks, PapaJo

bigpoochin wrote:
Bought a used Accord Plug-In about 2 weeks ago, ran beautifully until I had this same issue. Drove home from work, charged the battery back to full, woke up the next morning and the car wouldn't start properly. Error messages going off like crazy.

I found the posts on these forums, so I thought it was the 12V battery. Tried to jump it, but that didn't help. Had to have it towed to my local dealer, where they said the 12V battery was indeed dead, so they replaced it, but they still couldn't get the car to start. They said they kept getting an error message that the hybrid battery had an issue and needed to be replaced. Thankfully, it was under warranty, so I'm waiting about a week for the new battery to arrive and they are going to replace it at no cost to me. The service advisor told me that if it was out-of-pocket, it would have cost me at least $20,000 for this repair.

I'm wondering if replacing the hybrid battery is necessary, though. The dealership says that they couldn't get the car to start even after replacing the 12V, but this is a major repair that they get to collect on, so I think they're going to err on the side of doing the work even if it may not be necessary. Are there any other techniques that they could have tried? It sounds like some people are able to get the gas engine to start by holding down the HV button, but that didn't work when I was trying it myself. The car was running like a dream not 2 days ago, and it sounds if I could get it over 15 mph, a lot of these error messages go away.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:25 pm 

Hi PapaJo, thanks for the quick reply.

I did charge the HV battery almost every day after purchasing it, and the level showed a full charge every time. I was able to get around 15 miles on pure electric.

And that's good to know about the 12V batteries - I'm going to make sure I test and replace frequently from now on.

Question about putting the car into gear after the jump if this happens again: how were you able to do that? Mine was stuck in park and wouldn't budge, so I wasn't able to drive anywhere to get rid of the error messages. Do you have to use the shift lock release button?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:35 am 

bigpoochin,
When I jumped mine, it was a 2-person operation. While the cables were attached, I pushed the start button and didn't realize it was in normal function/drive mode because of the constant error messages. I probably could have put it in gear then. Instead, with the cables still attached, I pushed and held the HV button to put it in charge mode and the ICE fired up. I felt safer with a running engine, because this type of technology is all new to me. I depressed the brake pedal and put it in gear. Then the cables were removed from the jump car. The shift selector should go into gear as designed. The shift lock release doesn't seem like a reasonable option in this situation.
As a side note, if the charge in the HV battery is up around the 70-80% level, the charge mode cannot be used at all to fire up the ICE. It only works when the HV battery is at lower charge levels, around 60-65% or less.
If your HV battery was fully charging, and you were getting 15 miles (of EV only), then that part should be OK. I don't know if I would want to mess with it. You may want to do your own test. If the new 12v has a full charge, you should be able to push start, watch those cool white side displays race up and down one time on the dash, and do a short test drive. All those error messages will clear in about 2-3 minutes. There's a lot of them.
Another fun fact: I live in Oregon and the dealership was excited to see one when I took it in for an oil change. The only problem was, I had to tell them how to get the engine running to make sure the oil level was correct after the change. They didn't know about pushing and holding the HV button for about three seconds.
Keep me posted, Thanks