Data connection in PHEV?

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobra

I know the Accord PHEV can connect to a smartphone and also that Honda says they do some telemetry to monitor performance of the car remotely. But I'm confused about how connection is made to the car when your smartphone is removed. For example, if you want to pre-condition the cabin with the smartphone app, how is the connection made to the car? Does Honda provide the network connection? Or so you pay for a connection plan (like the OnStar plans?)

Oh, and can the HondaLinkEV app unlock the doors?

Answering my own question, in case someone comes across this. It seems that the Plug-In Hybrid has some sort of cellular connection that Honda pays for. The HondaLink EV app functionality works remotely to the car, but does not require you be in close proximity. Both it and the web site can show you charge state , plugged in status, and control the environment controls (just on/off). The app and web site cannot unlock the doors.

@Cobra,

Correct, looks to be a 3G connection from what I can tell.
The honda support folks told me this is currently "free for 3 years". They did not know what happens after that... :)
---

Interesting. I wondered. I was surprised it was included, but I think they use it for engineering data on the cars also, so it has benefit to Honda as well. We'll see what happens after that.

Back