Gas mileage

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwsimon

I have only had my Accord PHEV for a couple of weeks and have about 425 miles on it so far. I've only used 1/3 of a tank of gas, so I really have no idea what kind of gas mileage it gets. Anybody out there driven enough to get some gas mileage data?

I've had mine for 5 weeks, am on my 3rd full tank and it has about 2500 miles on it. With the 10 gallon capacity, I get between 65 - 70 mpg. I use the "Trip computer" feature to keep track of my mpg.

The trip computer basically measures the amount of gas used and compares it to the miles driven that trip. It does not "know" that some of the miles are electric and used no gas. So it will report a higher number than your actual gas mileage. Mine is reading about 100 mpg on this tank so far. The meter pegs at 199.99, by the way.

To actually know your gas mileage, you need to keep track of your electric miles (or at least the number of kWh loaded in during charges. You can do that with a Kill-a-Watt meter on your charging port.) Otherwise, the gas mileage on the trip meter is pretty much meaningless.

44.5 mpg on a recent trip with no plugging in, preconditioning (air conditioning) using the battery a few times, about 1700 miles at prevailing freeway speeds (with a couple small mountain crossings), about 100 miles city driving, using EV in the city and recharging with HV Charge on the freeway. You could likely do better if you tried.

I don't know that using HV Charge that way -- to charge the battery for city use without plugging in -- was the most efficient thing. It just made the city driving smoother and quieter to have the engine off, and made it possible to run the air conditioning from the battery before getting in the car when the weather was somewhat hot & humid.

I drove about 100 miles yesterday all hybrid mode; 30 miles city, 70 highway and got 49MPG. On the way back I used 12.5 in EV and the remaining hybrid and got 53.3 MPG; both ways on the highway I was doing
70MPH with the airconditioning on.

Twice yesterday, when using the engine at freeway speeds, the display in the speedometer showed "Engine cooling system problem" and engine power was hugely reduced -- the car would only reluctantly get itself off the road. (Full electric power wasn't available either, but the car was in HV mode; maybe it would have been better in EV.) Turning the car off and on restored power, but a check engine light and "Emissions system problem" message remained.

I drove about 1100 miles in a trip... Got and average of 49 mpg. Charged on the way twice at Nissan dealers and once using the HV Charge mode (fastest way to charge, but most punitive on gas mileage).... I arrived at my destination with half a tank (a month ago) and since then have not filled up yet... am at 80 miles gas range, so i expect to fill up next week with my kind of driving, which is all city 15m one way to work-recharge-and back.....

Since I have arrived, I have been getting about 69mpg, but keep in mind most is EV mode...

I'm not sure I follow you, Accordman. You drove 1,100 miles on one tank of gas and only charged the batteries twice? And you say you got 49 mpg? That doesn't add up. The batteries got you 30 miles. Where did the other 1,070 come from? Certainly not half a tank of gas. Please clarify.

Well, he doesn't say he never added gas on the trip. He just had opportunity to charge a couple times on the way to save a little gas.

49 mpg is pretty good for highway in a hybrid. Honda seems to have done a really good job with highway mode, as that is usually worse for hybrids than city driving with stop and go.

How did you like driving it for the long distance? Was it comfortable for a long trip like that?

rwsimon":v1b63z82 said:
I'm not sure I follow you, Accordman. You drove 1,100 miles on one tank of gas and only charged the batteries twice? And you say you got 49 mpg? That doesn't add up. The batteries got you 30 miles. Where did the other 1,070 come from? Certainly not half a tank of gas. Please clarify.

Sue I gassed up. i am not sure twice or thrice... My mpg reading was from the entire trip as recorded in my Trip meter...

Cobra":118o96gf said:
Well, he doesn't say he never added gas on the trip. He just had opportunity to charge a couple times on the way to save a little gas.

49 mpg is pretty good for highway in a hybrid. Honda seems to have done a really good job with highway mode, as that is usually worse for hybrids than city driving with stop and go.

How did you like driving it for the long distance? Was it comfortable for a long trip like that?

Yeah, I was very happy with this since I traded in my 2009 Accord Ex and drove this back... Much smoother... but my 2009 was a V6 and I did miss my powerful acceleration at times.... once I was in cruise mode, it was a much smoother journey...

Back