Limited production of Accord Plug-ins

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard a number. Where did you see the 1100?

I do know they are being made in Japan and only for sale in CA and NY. And they aren't selling that fast, so it seems Honda may have estimated the demand very well. Hard to say.

In hybridcars.com by Jeff Cobb stated Honda only plans to produce the plug-in for two years and the goal is to sell 1100 in this production year.

Pretty strange how lukewarm Honda is about this car. Two weeks into ownership and I think it's an absolutely great car. Surprising how much you can accomplish with only a 15-mile electric range.

They must have decided the volume they could sell was low. It seems they are right so far.

I was assuming that the PHEV is not being produced because many dealers in NY and CA do not have one available to show. I know I'm a bit biased, however, considering the ride, statistics, and reliability of Accords, I think the PHEV would be a leader among plug-in sales if it was available throughout the country.

Maybe, I'd like to believe that as well. It looks like a really good vehicle. I suspect the price keeps a lot of people away. I've been watching the listings online for the NY vehicles and they don't seem to sell that fast. That's the only thing that makes me think Honda made a good estimate of the demand. I think you are right that they would sell more if it was available nationwide. It will be interesting to see how the conventional hybrid Accord sells when it comes out.

Yes, the higher price of the vehicle is a negative aspect, however, if they're not selling well in NY, why do dealers insist on selling them above sticker price.

You must be in CA? I find myself asking why anyone is willing to pay more than MSRP. ;)

I haven't found a NY dealer that quoted above MSRP, so that only seems to be something they can get away with in CA. One person online said he just called a couple other CA dealers after one quoted him a higher price, until he found a CA dealer that would sell at MSRP.

Maybe I'm not any good at haggling and/or they spotted me out as someone that was determined to leave with the Accord Plug-in because they charged me about $1500.00 above MSRP in Tarrytown, NY.

I realize this is a month or more after the previous posts but I just bought mine for $3,500 below MSRP. I took that price to four or five dealers within 100 miles in Northern California and all of them were willing to sell me a car at that price. I suspect the wave of early adopters has dwindled and now they have to price the cars competitively. When you take the Federal and State incentives into account the price is better than a stock Accord EX-L V6 or Touring versions

Is the 2014 Accord PHEV designated as one of the compliance cars which is why 1100 have only been designated to be built in the next two years?

bill1721":306eybbm said:
Maybe I'm not any good at haggling and/or they spotted me out as someone that was determined to leave with the Accord Plug-in because they charged me about $1500.00 above MSRP in Tarrytown, NY.

Interestingly, when I was shopping over the phone and to see availability.. these Tarrytown guys quoted me a MSRP... I went there to take a look at the car and when I discussed the price, these guys now jacked up the price to $2000 above MSRP.... Needless to say with their "cool" tactics, I did not buy mine from this dealership...

Shit, go to Lompoc, Ca Honda. I think I pay'd 37,500.00 before taxes. Yeah it took 6/7 months to get the car, but under MSRP!!!!

$37.5K is invoice.

This car has a lot of competition, and Honda really needs to rethink the pricing. The Prius Plug-in while a bit smaller inside, shares the Prius legendary reputation and it's cult-like following. It's hard to believe people will pay so much more for the unproven Accord Plug-in.

Honda is feeling the market pressure in NY, check out the lease deals. A poster here says "Honda is putting 10K on the hood" - that sounds like what it takes to make this vehicle competitive.

Btate":yzmjuaum said:
Shit, go to Lompoc, Ca Honda. I think I pay'd 37,500.00 before taxes. Yeah it took 6/7 months to get the car, but under MSRP!!!!

Back