Rear-bumper Proximity Sensors for Accord Plug-in?

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinthos

Anyone know if the Rear-bumper proximity sensors will work on the Accord Plug-in? Honda lists them for the Accord and Accord Hybrid but no reference to the Plug-in model…

I know the physical installation could occur on the bumper, but is the software and connections to the screen/computer available, or are those aspects not compatible/missing on the plug-in?

Asked Honda parts, they didn't know…..
---

Hi srl99,

The backup-sensor service can enable shading/shadowing on the navigation screen.
Such as the second photo listed here...http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1202 ... ch-mirrors

The shading can overlay the mirror.

It's a great option when the backup camera is dirty, as the sensors still pick-up what's close/nearby both visually on the screen and audible.

So the two systems can indeed complimentary. The Hybrid Accord 2014 and the regular Accord 2014 comes w/ the camera and the sensors are an upgrade. Any idea if they'll work w/ the PHEV Accord?
---

@rinthos - I'm now wiser, thank you. Sorry, I have no idea if you can add backup sensors to the Accord P-i system. I would guess the technical manual(s) would tell you if there's a connection for them to the ?NAV? unit. You might check to see if the wiring to the rear bumper is already in.

What makes you think the Honda backup sensors integrate with the Nav? I thought they were just audible, with no other indication in the Accord. Maybe the audible indication is integrated with the Nav?

@Cobra,

Here's a good example from the 2011 Honda Odyssey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zW65DdfFqQ

It's certainly possible the Odyssey can do what the Accord 2014 cannot...but on the plug-in, so far not even sure the connection exists.
found plug under the trunk where the light is I could junction off-of, but how does that get to the speakers or dash or nav unit (unless already wired). 2014 accord (not PHEV) does have junction / connector there already...
---

Yeah, I looked in to those a little, but couldn't find any info saying they worked on the PHEV. Plus, seems like you need to put holes in the rear bumper to install?

The install instructions should be up on collegehillshonda, so maybe we can tell what the connection is from them, unless you identified it already from the connector you are looking for?

Cobra":1m9r0ej8 said:
Yeah, I looked in to those a little, but couldn't find any info saying they worked on the PHEV. Plus, seems like you need to put holes in the rear bumper to install?

The install instructions should be up on collegehillshonda, so maybe we can tell what the connection is from them, unless you identified it already from the connector you are looking for?
Ok so here's the lesson learned (stopped by local dealer on way home from work tonight to look @ one with install)...the harness connection was already there, however it could easily be spliced in..so no big deal..

However the harness looks to be purely a functional power connection based on the diagrams the parts department pulled up... (goes under the floor mats where it splits to a main harness that goes to the engine/accessory battery). So false alarm there :(

Also the Accord OEM rear bumper sensors do require holes drilled in the rear bumper....

But the major thing is that the accord oem sensor kit has a pulse-speaker with it...which the instructions say to mount adjacent to the rear speaker...so no integration w/ the computer. :(

The dealer did confirm that for other Honda models (i.e. the Odyssey as 1 example) the harness actually connects to the dash computer and does integrate....

So given the lack of functionality, I would say it is indeed a waste for the Accord PHEV :(

Hope this is helpful to others.
---

Thanks :) That was my impression, but I hadn't seen wiring diagrams. Neat that it could work on the PHEV, but with the backup cam, seems like it doesn't add much.

Back