Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT)

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottinSanDiego

I've had my Accord Plug-in for one week now and am really happy with my purchase except for one thing, the sound of the CVT. Before I bought my Plug-in I test drove a Accord Hybrid and did slightly notice the CVT reeving sound. With my Accord Plug-in when I step hard on the accelerator, the engine races as it would with a slipping clutch or a failing automatic transmission. I know this is normal and the CVT is just adjusting the engine speed to provide optimal power for acceleration. However, the sound's starting to bother me and I think I'm going to have to spend some money to sound proof the inside cabin to decrease the CVT noise.

Are any other Accord Plug-in owners bothered by the CVT sounds or does it just take some time to get used to it?
Do you think Honda would meet me half way in the cost of putting some sound deadening material in the cabin?

Thanks in advance for you feedback.

-Scott

Several people have found the disconnected engine high rpms unusual on the PHEV. I guess you could ask Honda about contributing to sound deadening, although I think they ail say that is how the car works. It doesn't slip, but rather runs the engine at higher rpms to power the electric generator, which is used to accelerate the car. You can reduce that by using more charging from the wall, or accelerating slower. It certainly does not sound the same as a traditional 4 or 6 cylinder vehicle.

I personally have got used to it. I think what I'm still trying to get used to is the wind noise from the top part of the driver side window on the freeway.

I haven't noticed excessive wind noise… I know some people in non-PHEVs complained about some of that. I think there may be some window seal or door trim issues on the 2013 & 2014 models. You might ask the dealer to have a look at yours.

Back