Most Efficient Sedan In America Now For Sale

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damon

Honda has set a high fuel-efficiency standard in the United States with its outstandingly efficient 2014 Accord Plug-In Hybrid Sedan.

It is the most efficient sedan in America. It surpasses the efficiency of the Chevy Volt, Prius Plug-In Hybrid, all of the other Prius vehicles, and the Ford Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid.

It is the first hybrid to meet the LEV3/SULEV20 emissions standard.

To give you a better idea of what we’re talking about, compare it to the Chevy Volt and Prius Plug-In Hybrid:

Ford Fusion Energi Plug-In Hybrid: 100 MPGe. 47 City | 46 Highway | 46 Combined.
Chevy Volt: 98 MPGe.
Prius Plug-In Hybrid: 95 MPGe. 51 City | 49 Highway | 50 Combined.

An Accord is not exactly a small economy car, either — it is a comfortable family car, so this is very impressive.

This hybrid can be fully charged in less than three hours when plugged into a 120-volt power outlet (a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter), or less than one hour using a “Level-2″ 240-volt charger.

This car is equipped with a Honda Earth Dreams technology two-motor hybrid propulsion system consisting of a 124 kW (166 HP) electric motor which acts as a CVT (continuously variable transmission).

It is also equipped with a 4-cylinder, 2.0-litre, i-VTEC, Atkinson-cycle gasoline combustion engine and three driving modes:

All-electric mode, which enables you to silently enter and leave neighbourhoods during late night or early morning hours.
Hybrid gas and electric.
Direct engine drive.

As hybrid cars usually do, this vehicle operates in all-electric mode until the battery’s SOC (state of charge) is low, or unless the driver accelerates aggressively, then the gas engine will start to provide it with the necessary power.

This vehicle just went on sale in California and New York for an MSRP of $39,780.

Read more in Accord Plug in Forum.

Honda has created something to be proud of. Accord plug in becomes the most fuel efficient car in America which implies in the whole world. I think its going to top all the sales charts.

Too bad you can't buy one yet... :)

Anyone have tips on finding one?

I doubt it'll top any sales charts though, isn't it limited to 500 production vehicles? I thought I saw that number somewhere. I may be wrong.

You can use the Honda website - when I entered a zip code in a non-California or New York state they listed dealerships hundreds of miles away in California which makes me think it was listing dealerships that actually had - or will have - or are trained on - the Honda Accord plugin.

accordphev":2m9dg5n1 said:
You can use the Honda website - when I entered a zip code in a non-California or New York state they listed dealerships hundreds of miles away in California which makes me think it was listing dealerships that actually had - or will have - or are trained on - the Honda Accord plugin.

Can you give more detail about where on the site you did this? When I go to the honda website, then pick plug-in accord in the vehicle type, so that I am on the plug-in accord page. If I then enter zip code in the left panel, I am only shown dealers near me in PA.

I called Honda Customer Service, and they did not have a list of dealers for me to contact (which surprised me.)

(edit)
Ah, I see that I can pick a way to limit the search to plug-in accord. When I do this is does give me a list of five dealers in New York.

Funny thing, I have already talked to two of those dealers and they had no information so far. One of the dealers not on that list, however, offered to order the vehicle, with an estimated delivery of 2-3 months.

So perhaps Honda knows what dealers will carry the Accord plugin even before they do!?

Sounds just like every other EV roll-out - confusing to the customer.

On a second look, it doesn't list only 5 dealers in NY. I missed that it returns three pages of dealers, with fifteen listed. It looks like all the Honda dealers around the New York city area. Did the CA listing only return a few?

Now that you mention it, it shows 15 results for California - probably the 15 closest to me, and their system is probably set to limit to 15 results.

That means they are returning all dealerships in the launch states? Not very helpful - and no wonder dealers contacted don't know about the Accord plugin.

Back