Honda Accord Vs Toyota Camry: It Is The Accord 29kmpl Which

Honda Accord Forum

Help Support Honda Accord Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom007

Honda Accord Vs Toyota Camry: It Is The Accord 29kmpl Which Takes The Cake.
A new Hybrid Honda Accord is all set see the light of day in Japan with a stupendous mileage of 29kmpl/ 68 miles per gallon. Endowed with such great mileage the new Accord would pose serious threat to Toyota Camry (23.2kmpl) and Crown (23.2) Hybrids.

Honda Hybrid Accord would get launched in the US in mid 2013 and would have a mileage of 20kmpl. We know you must be wondering why the difference in average? Well it is due to different drive cycles rules and regulations.

As per Green Car Congress Accord will have two-motor hybrid drive system as well as Accord Plug-In Hybrid.

It is being predicted that Honda would sell more than 10,000 units of Honda Accord in Japan.

The Nikkei reports that, the Accord Hybrid will likely sell for slightly more than 3 million yen. Honda is looking to move around 10,000 units a year. A plug-in Accord Hybrid that can be recharged from ordinary power outlets will also be released in June. This vehicle will be available only for leasing by businesses and municipalities.
What do the members of Accord Plug in forum have to say about this?

Is that 68 MPG on the Japanese test cycle, or the US EPA test cycle? Also, what does kmpl stand for?
Confusing header for this post, but the article did have some interesting info thanks.

Part of the fun of living on this crazy planet is trying to figure out all of the measuring systems used.

Most of the world uses the metric system, but some countries use litres per hundred kilometres ( l/100km) while others use kilometres per litre (kmpl) to measure fuel consumption.

For those countries using gallons for fuel measurement, you have to know which gallon they're using - the Imperial Gallon from Great Britain or the US Gallon. They both use a common ounce measure, but the Imperial Gallon has 160 oz. and the US Gallon has 120 oz.

On top of this we also have to wade our way through multiple testing authorities. Those that I know of are the European, American, Canadian, and Japanese. All of them have different testing criteria so even if the cars are built exactly the same they will have different fuel consumption numbers based on the different tests. There are likely many more testing standards than the four above, Australian perhaps and many others. One definite comparison is between the Canadian and US tests. Many (most) of the cars are identical in the two countries, but the Canadian test numbers since 2009 or so are always better. This is because the US changed their testing to more closely match real world driving situations while the Canadian tests didn't.

I have a 2012 Civic Hybrid which is returning fuel economy that almost matches the 4.3 l/100km that the Canadian testing rated the car at, but to do that I keep my highway speed down at 90 Km/hr and my city driving is on a free flowing major artery with few stops. Most people don't choose to drive this way. By the way, 4.3 l/100km is over 55 MPG (US) and 66 MPG (Imperial). The 68 MPG number reported from Japan may by using an Imperial Gallon. If so it is right in line with the Canadian numbers for the Civic Hybrid, which the new Accord should better. The US testing for the Hybrid Civic returns 44 MPG (US), which is what most people seem to be getting with them. The US testing numbers for the Plugin Accord are in the high 40's per US Gallon, which is likely a good real world number.

Bottom line is, until we actually get some feedback from people who purchase the new Accord Plugin, we're not really going to know what to expect. Personally, I use the US fuel consumption numbers as they seem to be the best at this time, and then convert them to l/100km.

We Canadians are good at converting as we are officially a metric country, but much of our infrastructure is still based on Imperial measures. For example, my address is "3 145 E, 74th Road North". It's translates to 3 miles, 1450 metres east of the Principle Meridian (a line the surveyors made up 120 years ago) on the 74th mile road north of the Canadian/US border. :D

Take care all,
Bill

Back